Seven years ago  John Berris weighed 210 pounds at five feet and seven inches. You would hardly recognize him for the well conditioned Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt he is today, at 160 pounds of lean muscle. When Dave Camarillo, head of American Kickboxing Academy, presented John with his black belt, he told John, “John Berris, you are what jiu-jitsu is all about.”
His talent combined with his work ethic has led to an understanding of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu that only a handful of people in the world can match. He has demonstrated time and again the ability to dominate his class and level in the sport. Passionate, determined, enthusiastic, and knowledgeable, he is an ideal person to learn from.
His enthusiasm for the sport carries over to his teaching. Training with John you can expect to work hard and play hard, but more than anything else, you can expect to learn as much as you’re willing to learn. Whether a casual learner or an MMA competitor, you can expect to receive world class training at a pace that will suit you.
This is a very important concept among Jiu Jitsu athletes/fighters. The following is John's line to the origin on Brazilian Jiu Jitsu:
Dave Camarillo & Guerilla Jiu Jitsu
John started Brazilian Jiu Jitsu studies with Dave Camarillo in 2003 at American Kickboxing Academy in San Jose California. During his time there he has had a rich and beneficial experience training with greats like John Fitch, Josh Koschek, Mike Swick and Dave Camarillo.
He didn’t earn this lightly. Seven years of constant training, competing, and working has netted him a black belt after what is comparatively a short time. He accomplished a lot on the way, and has beaten competitors of the same level time and again.
To name a few Tournements John has placed in:
- 2004 Second California Open, Gold Medal, White
- 2004 US Open 9, Silver Medal, White
- 2005 Gracie open, Gold Medal, White
- 2005 3rd California Open, Gold Medal, Blue
- 2005 3rd California Open No-Gi, Silver Medal
- 2005 US Open 10, Gold Medal, Blue
- 2005 US Open 10 No Weight Limit Division, Silver Medal, Blue
- 2007 Pan American Championship, Gold Medal, Purple
- 2008 1st American Cup, Gold Medal, Purple
- 2008 US Open 13, Silver Medal, Brown
- 2009 3rd American Cup, Silver Medal, Brown
- 2009 US Open 14, Silver Medal, Brown
- 2010 3rd American Cup, Silver Medal, Brown
- 2010 3rd American Cup Open Division, Bronze Medal, Brown
John at fighting weight.